statement on work
The whole point of work is to be productive and to enjoy it. I
love jobs where at the end of a long, arduous day I can say Look
what I did today. I made this.
When 'this' happens to be a well-crafted communication, whether
it's a corporate newsletter, a video presentation, a feature article,
a user's manual or a play, then I'm most content. But at various
points in my career 'this' has also been a workshop, a class syllabus,
or a swatch of handmade felt.
Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. Masters' degree
Pittsburgh Filmmakers'. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. Coursework.
Pennsylvania Institute for Culinary Arts. Pittsburgh, PA. Coursework.
Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. B.S. 1988.
Videography and non-linear digital editing. Grammatically correct, engaging,
written communication. Multimedia and web interface design. HTML,
Front Page, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Image Ready, Fireworks, Premiere,
After Effects, Quicktime, Toast, PageMaker, Authorware, ColdFusion,
Self Employed. Freelance Writer, Videographer
and Web Designer. March 1996 to present.
Perot Systems Japan. Tokyo Test Centre. July
1998 to June 1999.
Perot Systems Asia Pacific. Asia Pacific Test Centres.
April 1998 to June 1998.
Duquesne University. Multimedia Consultant. October
1996 to January 1998.
Chicago Kent College of Law. Manager, Computing Services.
August 1995 to March 1996.
Duquesne University. Educational Computing Consultant.
July 1993 to June 1995.
Telerama Public Access Internet. Director, Telerama
School. March 1991 to May 1995.
Foxholly Studios. Graphic Designer and Copywriter. March
1991 to July 1994.
McCrerey Farm, Inc. Vice President. September 1992
to June 1995.
EMCO Foodservice Systems, Inc. Marketing Assistant.
August 1989 to February1991.
Japan. International women's IT organization. Co-leader of
national chapter: February 2001 to May 2002. Technology Team Coordinator: February 2001-
Japan Webgrrls. Volunteer trainer, November 1999 to February 2001.
Annual Event Coordinator, July to October 2000.
publications and presentations
presentations & workshops
- Contributor to Todeco. 2004.
- Contributor to Four Corners. 2004.
- Enhancing your Computer's Performance in Number 1 Shimbun. September 2004
- Upgrade is an Uplifting Word in Number 1 Shimbun. August 2004
- Backup is Not a Four Letter Word in Number 1 Shimbun. July 2004
- Gaining a Creative Perspective in Design-in-flight. July 2004.
- FCCJ's Untapped resource in Number 1 Shimbun. April 2004
- Metropolis' twice monthly Tech
Know column. February 2001 - June 2002.
in Metropolis Issue 417.
is power in Tokyo Classified Issue 368.
Mac World Tokyo 2001 in Tokyo Classified Issue 364.
Myline? in Tokyo Classified Issue 361.
Matsuri in Tokyo Classified Issue 343.
- What's Up Pussycat? A Day with Hello Kitty in Eye Ai. September
- Craft Experiences in the Shikoku Region in Eye Ai. August 2000.
Parent Trap in Tokyo Classified Issue 325.
is Beautiful in Tokyo Classified Issue 320.
- All Tied Up: Shibori in Eye Ai. June 2000.
a Move On in Tokyo Classified. Issue 319. 6 May 2000.
River Walk in Tokyo Classified Issue 318. 29 April 2000.
Feats of Clay in Tokyo Classified. Issue 312, 18 March 2000.
Hunt is On in Tokyo Classified Issue 311. 11 March 2000.
- Disclosing Yourself in Japan in Regans Annual Report Review.
- Blossoms, Petals, Posies in Eye Ai. March 2000.
- Historical Yokohama in Eye Ai. January 2000.
Celebrates the Season in Tokyo Classified. Issue 300/301
25 December 1999.
- Niijima, an Island of Calm in Tokyo in Eye Ai. October 1999.
to an Island in Tokyo in Tokyo Classified. Issue 280. 7 August
- Life in Japan travelogues.
- Yamada Reizouko Ou review
in Arsenic.net, Spring 1999.
of a Kissaten in Epicure Exchange, Spring 1998.
- Spending an Allowance on the Internet in Big Blue Box, Volume
4, Number 2. Watertown, MA. 1997.
- Chatting with Cyberfriends: Conversing a New Way in Big Blue Box,
Volume 4, Number 1. Watertown, MA. 1997.
- Cutting to the Cutting Edge of Fashion in Big Blue Box, Volume
3, Number 3. Watertown, MA. 1997.
- Canned! Vending
Machine Coffee in Tokyo in Epicure Exchange, Fall 1996.
- Teens and Telephony in Tokyo in Big Blue Box, Volume 3, Number
2. Watertown, MA. 1996.
- Safer Surfing: the Influence of Filters and Blacklists on Web Development
in Big Blue Box, Volume 3, Number 1. Watertown, MA. 1996.
- Impulse Freak
comic collaboration. SITO, Omaha, NE.
- Using the SamplePrep Web Service in Analytical Sample Preparation
and Microwave Chemistry Research Center in Microwave Enhanced
Research. Skip Kingston, et.al, editors. American Chemical Society,
Washington, D.C. 1996.
- October 2004. Writing Menus. (lesson 1, lesson 2). Media Tinker.
- January 2004. A Brief History of Zero. Media Tinker.
- November 2003. Tokyo, Japan. VideoCrown multimedia presentation.
- August 2003. Illustrated MT Templates. Media Tinker.
- May 2002. Tokyo, Japan. Managing Sites with Dreamweaver. DigitalEve
- November 2001. Kamakura, Japan. IT Careers for Women.
- November 2001. Tokyo, Japan. Digital Video Workshop. DigitalEve Japan.
- September 2001. Tokyo, Japan. Women in IT (panel moderator).
- June 2001. Tokyo Japan. Usability and User Interface Design. DigitalEve
- December 2000. Tokyo, Japan. Digital Video Workshop.
- August 2000. Tokyo, Japan. Web Publishing for Japan Webgrrls.
- May 2000. Tokyo Japan. Intermediate HTML for Japan Webgrrls. A half-day
workshop for web page creators.
- March 2000. Tokyo, Japan. Hajimete Internet, A half-day seminar for
International Women in Communiction.
- November 1999. Tokyo, Japan. HTML
Workshop. A half-day workshop for beginner web page creators.
- December 1998. Studio Infini, Tokyo, Japan. Travelogues : Monologues.
A one-woman, multimedia exhibition.
- August 1997. Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA. Opportunity Knocks
97. A five-day student employee training workshop.
- June 1997. Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA. Summer Institute
on Teaching with Technology. A week-long multimedia development workshop
for university faculty.
- December 1996. CAUSE Annual Conference, San Francisco, CA. "Support
Models for Faculty Development" poster session.
- November 1995. EDUCOM Annual Conference, Facility Design for Teaching,
Learning and Technology poster session.
- June 1995. Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA. Summer Institute
on Teaching with Technology. Three, week-long multimedia development
workshops for university faculty.
- April 1995. Faculty Development Resource Association, Pittsburgh, PA.
Navigating the Internet workshop.
- September 1994. PREPnet Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA. Internet
- April 1994. Faculty Development Resource Association, Pittsburgh, PA.
De-Mythologizing the Internet workshop.
- March 1993. Council of Independent Colleges, Pittsburgh, PA. Hands-On